You are here
How to make a gift of securities
Your gift of securities, such as stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares may offer advantages over a cash gift, and can support any area of Johns Hopkins.
The Office of Gift Planning administers outright gifts of securities for immediate impact. To ensure efficient and timely processing of your outright gift of securities, please review the information below:
Securities Held by a Broker
- Complete the online notification form to let us know your plans and to receive a customized letter of instruction for you to send to your broker to help initiate your gift. Be sure to contact your broker for specific guidelines on how to send the letter.
Stock Certificates Held by You
- Provide a letter of instruction that includes the unendorsed certificate(s), date, and name(s) and address(es) of donors. Note that the stock gift is a gift to Johns Hopkins and the area(s) it will support. Include the signature(s) as listed on the stock certificate.
- Complete a stock power form for each certificate, and take it to your bank for a medallion signature guarantee. Remember to: bring a photo ID, sign the form in front of the bank staff using the same name(s) that appear on the stock certificate, and date the form.
- Send in two separate envelopes by mail one, the unendorsed stock certificate(s) and two, the stock power form and letter of instruction to the address below.
Mutual Funds and Bonds
- Contact us to make a gift of mutual funds or bonds. Please note that it may take up to three weeks to process mutual fund gifts. For bonds, reference the name(s) of the bond(s) to be transferred and the CUSIP number.
San Martin Center, 2nd Floor
3400 N. Charles St. Baltimore, MD 21218